|"Secret Garden" at the Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show 2006|
So the sculpture came home and moved house with me and more flowers broke over the course of the years.
So now that there are no more of the original irises it's time to cast some new ones and to experiment with techniques. I decided to try lost wax - foolish perhaps - but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I experimented with a sort of shell casting for the investment - a mixture of patching plaster and silica for the registration layer, then building up in layers of refractory mixture and fibreglass then refractory mixture and grog until a mould was made. Then the hours of steaming - not long enough there was wax burning out in the kiln. I used some old glass - reservoir remainders from previous castings for this experiment.
|Just out of the mould and still covered in plaster|
|Almost clean and ready to cut off the sprues|